SeaKeepers' Currents

Cruising with SeaKeepers

Building Environmentally Conscious Habits

Leave a comment

Written by contributing blogger Sebastian Alarcon Leon

The Ugly Journey Of Our Trash. An infographic by Project AWARE

Small Changes Can Actually Make A Big Difference

You’ll be surprised by the amount of little things you can do every day that help preserve both the ocean and the environment in general. Whether you’re trying to be more environmentally conscious or just trying to be frugal, these seemingly trivial actions can have a dramatic impact on both the environment and your budget.

  • Turn the air conditioning off when you’re not home! AC consumes a bunch of energy. By reducing the amount of time you have it on, you can help reduce overall energy use, not to mention your utilities bill!
  • Disconnect your idle chargers! I bet you didn’t know that nearly 75% of all electricity used to power electronics is consumed by products that are switched off. Only 5% of the power drawn by a cell phone charger is used to charge the phone. The other 95% is wasted when it is left plugged into the wall. Turning off power strips also helps!
  • Re-use plastic products!  Things like water bottles, containers, and plastic bags can be reused which prevents them from becoming waste and further contaminating natural resources. In a world where few people are aware of their ecological footprint, everyone who chips in makes a difference.
  • Clean up after yourself! Everywhere. Littering, especially in coastal areas, can be exceedingly detrimental to the ocean and marine life. There has been a huge growth in the death of animals thanks to the astounding amount of plastic littering their habitats. Be kind to your beach.
  • Cut back on seafood! Seafood products are generally more expensive than beef or chicken anyways, so cutting back on it every once in a while will benefit both you and seafood populations. The more people that think twice before ordering that delicious salmon carpaccio, the less demand the human population asserts on already over-exploited fisheries.
  • If you’ve gotten this far, have the decency to recycle.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s